Steve Gooch was born in March 1962 in Rugby, Warwickshire in England and grew up there with his two brothers and sister.
He moved to Corsham in Wiltshire and attended Bath Academy of Art, where he studied sculpture and printmaking, before going on to work on projects for the internationally known artists Joe Tilson and Nick Pope. He also worked on the publication of a limited edition folio of Paul Eluard’s poetry.
Steve moved to London to study for a postgraduate teaching certificate at Goldsmith’s College and then worked as a teacher of art in various schools in the UK. He gained his MA in Education with the Open University and also studied the discipline of Reiki with his Reiki teachers in Newcastle upon Tyne. His daughter Marianne was born in 1994.
For a period of time, Steve devoted himself to teaching Reiki in his hometown of Rugby, before moving to Egypt, where he resumed his career as an art teacher, becoming the Head of Art in a prestigious British International School in Cairo. He continued to teach Reiki, introducing the discipline for the first time to Egypt. He also wrote extensively on the subject for various Egyptian English-language magazines.
Returning to the UK, Steve’s son Sam was born in 2004. Attempting to escape the teaching profession once more, Steve took a job as a chef in a vegetarian restaurant and wrote his first book ‘Reiki Jin Kei Do: The Way of Compassion & Wisdom’. It was the world’s first book on that particular tradition of Reiki and is still considered to be the standard reference work on the subject.
Steve them moved to Sudan, where he was again Head of Art at the prestigious Unity High School, and built an online living history archive for the school, called ‘The Unity High School Archive‘. It was in the process of building this archive that Steve uncovered a major scandal involving senior members of the Anglican Church, local dignitaries, and members of the various faith communities. As a consequence, he got to know the head of the Secret Police in Khartoum quite well and left the country as quickly as possible.
Steve moved back to Egypt and took up a post as Head of Art at The British School of Alexandria. Very much involved in the Reiki community in the UK, however, he founded the national organisation ‘Reiki Jin Kei Do UK’ and became the editor of ‘Focus: The Journal of Reiki Jin Kei Do UK’, and then set up the global ‘Reiki Jin Kei Do International’. He also set up the video arts project ‘12seconds for Peace‘. The concept grabbed the attention of a number of big names in the peace movement, including Nobel Peace Prize nominees, and threatened to go viral. Circumstances (revolutions and social unrest) put it on the back-burner. Likewise, a major peace initiative called the ‘Global Concert for Peace‘, scheduled for the summer of 2013, which would have been the world’s biggest musical event, also went on the back-burner.
Steve moved to Saudi Arabia for a little over a year in 2014, before returning to Egypt to take up a senior management position in another British International School in Cairo.
Finally, after a year of professional purgatory in which he realised that there is no such thing as a good British International School in Egypt, he decided ‘enough is enough’ and quit the teaching profession for good to focus on his writing, art and Reiki classes.
He is currently living in Cairo and writing ‘The Temple of the Djinn’, which is loosely based on the events that he uncovered during his time in Sudan. He is also teaching Reiki and working freelance for a variety of Egyptian magazines. He misses the UK and is looking forward to spending more time in his home country with his children.
He’d also like to find time to paint and make sculpture.
- Johnny FinchamJohnny Fincham is "Britain's leading palmist" (Daily Mail), the "palmist of the stars" (Denise Van O...
- Hilary H. CarterHilary Carter is co-creator of Taiyoga and co-founder of HigherMoon transformational workshops. She ...
- Shiv Charan SinghShiv Charan Singh is a reknowned teacher of Kundalini Yoga (since 1980) and founder of the Karam Kri...
- June-Elleni LaineBorn in the north of England but made her home in London over 30 years ago. June-Elleni's career sta...
- Peter LemesurierPeter Lemesurier, a Cambridge-trained modern linguist and teacher and professional translator, spent...
- Andrew and Angela Donovan
- Richard AshworthRichard Ashworth’s work has been highlighted many times in the media but he is probably best known...
- Jock BrocasJock Brocas is a professional medium and spiritual teacher who is also the founder and president of ...
- Lindsay Halton
- Adam SmithAdam Smith is a professional astrologer who writes for the Daily Mirror, Elle, Spirit, Chat, Harper'...
- Lyn BirkbeckLyn Birkbeck began his working life as a musician and record producer and has now been a widely-cons...
- Colette BrownColette Brown BSc MRPharmS answered her calling and gave up working as a pharmacist in 1996. Her dre...
- SHARE THIS:
- SEE ALSO:
- 6th BooksALL THINGS PARANORMAL
- Axis Mundi BooksEXPLORING THE WORLD OF HIDDEN KNOWLEDGE
- AYNI BOOKSALTERNATIVE HEALTH & HEALING
- MANTRA BOOKSEASTERN RELIGION & PHILOSOPHY
- PSYCHE BOOKSPSYCHOLOGY
- Soul RocksNEW GENERATION
- Visit the John Hunt Publishing website